Sunday, November 2, 2008

Beets

So a few years ago I decided that I wanted to try to like beets. (Kind of like when I decided to try to like onions and mushrooms which I love now!) I've never liked them. But a lot of that is because my mother used to buy the ones in the jar. About five years ago mom made a "fancy" salad for Christmas: farm cheese, roasted beets and some other grose thing. It was pretty awful. But it didn't deter me in my quest to try to like beets.

Now I like beets. Roasted beets. Well, only roasted beets. And you know what? They aren't very bad. You can either roast them whole in the oven for an hour wrapped in aluminum foil OR you can peel them, add them to other root vegetables, toss them in olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them in the oven for 40 minutes. I've made this dish twice this last weekend for Thanksgiving and it was pretty good.

The biggest thing you need to know is that beets stain. Big time. So if you mix them with white potatoes, they are going to turn pink! Although mixing them with carrots makes a really pretty color.

No comments: