Monday, January 19, 2009

Loving Frank


Just finished the book "Loving Frank" by Nancy Horan. I so did not want to read this book. And, yes, I judged it by its cover. (I mean LOOK at it! Ick!) Plus, I am not a huge fan of Frank Lloyd Wright (though I do like the Dana Thomas house in Springfield, Illinois). What is great about this book is that it is NOT about Frank Lloyd Wright but, rather, the amazingly strong woman, Mamah Cheney, who left her family to be with him. While this book is a work of fiction, it is based on fact and is incredibly thought-provoking, well-researched and historically relevant. I must admit that I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the womens' movement in the early 20th century and life before women had the right to vote (1907 - 1911). I am really glad I stuck it out and finished the book. It is definitely a good read. Next up: Clark School and WGHS graduate Jonathan Franzen.

No comments: